Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Synchra Project - RGB 7-Segment LEDs

Behold...


Yes, an individually addressable 7-segment RGB LED (geek drool). Well, I couldn't help myself from grabbing a couple of these from Adafruit:

Adafruit's RGB 7-Segment LED

Here's a couple things I was surprised about.


  • These things are big. I guess I should of figured from the description, but certainly much larger than anticipated. 0.947" wide by 1.403" tall, although the segment portion itself is 1" tall, as advertised.
  • The decimal point isn't connected, kinda a bummer.
  • A whole mess of connections on the back. Again, something that should of been obvious, it's seven RGB LEDs after all. So, the 25 pins on the back shouldn't of surprised me, although three are not connected. 
So, when I got them, I wanted a way to mount them. Yes, I know that, typically speaking, people solder them onto a PCB and then mount that. But, this thing doesn't play well with standard, columned breadboards. So, I decided to make a lil' mount for them with my CNC and then wire-wrapped a heap of wires to the pins...






Also, I improved on the schematic to help clear up what goes where:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment